If you’re willing to make some changes around your home and in your life, you can easily qualify for discounts that will save you money on your Charlotte homeowner's insurance policy. Take a look at these often overlooked ways to reduce your rates and qualify for discounts.
Fixing up your home and making structural improvements can have a major impact on your insurance premiums.
- Install a high-impact roof to bring it up to current building codes.
- Rewire your home, especially in older homes, to reduce the chance of fire.
- Update your plumbing - new pipes usually don’t leak.
- Upgrade your HVAC. This isn’t just good for your energy costs. You also have less chance of mold, mildew, and other damage with a well functioning system.
Making your home safe or choosing to live in a safer neighborhood will definitely lower your home insurance costs.
- Install high tech alarm systems
- Add carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms.
- Install sensors that can detect gas leaks and water leaks.
- Stop smoking. Forgotten cigarettes and burning ashes are the precursors to home fires.
- Choose a gated community. Insurance companies love gated communities because your chances of theft and vandalism go down with this layer of security.
- Join the homeowner’s association (HOA). Like a gate, HOAs provide a measure of security plus they often have basic upkeep and maintenance requirements.
Age, Insurance, and Other Discounts
There are a few small things that can go a long way to saving you plenty of money on your homeowners insurance.
- Bundle your insurance together. If you purchase your home, auto, and/or life insurance from the same company, you’ll get a discount.
- Enjoy getting older. Around age 55, you may qualify for a discount on your insurance for your primary home, especially if you’ve lived there for many years.
- Only file claims if you have to. The longer you can go without filing a claim, the more of a discount you’ll receive.
If you’ve taken any of these steps recently, make sure your insurance agent knows so you can get the discounts you’re entitled to. Give us a call at Charlotte Insurance. We’ll be happy to go over your policy, find discounts you qualify for, and get you a better price for your home insurance.