First-time homeowners: so you have finally settled in, unpacked all boxes and have some time to catch a breath. Everything is good to go now, right? Well, almost! If you have not created a home inventory list yet, it is that time. This list may seem like an intimidating task but it is sure to go hand-in-hand with your new home insurance policy. Our North Carolina insurance agency has a few tips to help you tackle this project with ease!
• Go through a room a day. If you think about your home as a whole, you will never want to start this project!
• Use an Excel spreadsheet or specific software to record this information. Be sure to back it up, too.
• Make sure you record everything you possibly can, including: serial number, make, model, color, place of purchase, price, etc.
• For a little extra, gather any receipts you may have or take photos of each item.
• If you are not into the idea of typing out this list, consider going through your home with a video recorder and narrate the information. This is just as effective!
• Keep this list safe and continue to update as needed.
Once you have the basic home inventory list written out, updating it will be a piece of cake! This list is sure to come in handy once it comes time to file a home insurance claim. Not only will it make it easier on you but the adjuster and our North Carolina insurance agency as well. This way, you will have a much better chance of properly replacing an item or receiving the correct amount of money for any damages or costs.
Good luck with your list!