Tips for Home Fire Safety

Written by on 8/18/2012 10:00 AM . It has 0 Comments.

As a NC homeowner, it could be assumed that you would prefer not to suffer a house fire! Losing your property or possessions from fire is a very traumatic event – not to mention dangerous, inconvenient, and expensive.

Of course if you have home insurance in place it certainly helps you to get back on your feet again, by enabling you to rebuild / repair your home and replace your possessions. However it would be better to take steps to help prevent the losses occurring in the first place.

Tips for this include:

• Always leave space around heaters, and do not use them as clothes’ dryers.

• Keep all flammable items at a long distance from heating equipment.

• Have stationery heaters installed by professionals only.

• Get heating equipment inspected annually, and chimneys regularly cleaned or swept.

• When using fireplaces, make sure the ashes are fully extinguished after use.

• Turn off portable heaters when going out or to bed.

• Do not leave candles unattended – candles may look lovely but they can carry quite a high fire risk.

• When cooking, don’t leave the stove unattended even for a few minutes.

• Use clothes’ dryers according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and clean the lint filter after every load. Do not leave them on when you go out.

• Install fire-detecting equipment. Smoke alarms provide warning while sprinklers detect heat and switch on over the area of fire.

Finally, make sure your home insurance is kept up-to-date at all times. Feel free to contact one of our agents regarding insurance for your NC home.

Comments

Got something to say? Join the discussion »

Leave a Reply

 [Quick Submit with Ctrl+Enter]

Remember my details
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail