Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Because of this, February has been named American Heart Month! This month, our South Carolina insurance agency would like to speak about the urgency of this disease and bring awareness to this growing health concern. Not only is these disease deadly, but it is also beyond expensive. In 2010, cardiovascular disease cost the nation more than $444 billion in health care expenses. High hospitalization costs are just another reason for residents to look into health insurance.
Protecting yourself from expensive medical bills is important, but even more important is protecting your heart from this disease. Here are a few ways you can do so:
• Engage in at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
• Avoid foods filled with saturated and trans fats.
• Avoid foods with a high sodium level.
• Eat high fiber-foods such as fruit, vegetables, grains and more.
• Keep an eye on portion sizes. Weight gain may lead to heart disease.
• Drink alcohol in moderation.
• Find an activity that can help manage your stress levels, whether it is painting or doing yoga.
• If you are a smoker, your risk of heart disease increases. Time to put out the cigarette!
• Seeing your doctor at least once a year is enough to stay on top of changes in your health.
• Embrace good fat. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in olive oil and fish.
The sad truth is the fact that no disease will ever be 100% preventable. However, there are always healthy habits that may help slash your risk. Make a habit out of these few tips and watch your overall health improve!
If you are concerned about your coverage, have no fear. With our health insurance, residents will not have to fear visiting their doctor and receiving the medical attention they need. A typical policy will cover: doctor visits, prescriptions, medical testing, specialized care, surgical procedures and more. Be sure to speak with our South Carolina insurance agency about this policy and grab a free quote!
Stay covered and keep your ticker going strong!