The North Carolina shore can be a favorite target for hurricanes. This hurricane season, you should not only be prepared for a hurricane to hit, you should also know what to do during and after a storm. Your home insurance NC should be in place, as well as a flood insurance policy and hurricane coverage if you are in a high storm exposure area. Here are some steps to take before, during and after a storm hits:
• Listen to your battery operated radio for updates.
• Make sure your emergency supplies are intact.
• Have a full tank of gas.
• Bring in outdoor furniture which can become a dangerous projectile in the wind.
• Board up windows.
• Put freezer on coldest setting.
• Beware of dangerous animals and snakes driven to higher ground by floodwaters.
• Avoid loose power lines.
• Take some pictures of damages.
• After the storm, open some windows and doors to ventilate the house if there was water damage.
Your home insurance NC is a valuable asset to have in place. You should make sure you have enough coverage in place in the event of a total loss of the house. However, realize homeowners’ policies do not cover floods, so you will need a separate flood policy. Additional insurance is also usually required for hurricanes.