Your job is to envision what could be and build it for your clients and customers. Construction is the ultimate work-with-your-hands career. Whether you’re a residential developer, a roofer, an electrician, or part of some other trade - you need to protect the business you’ve built. The right insurance helps you do that.

You custom build for your clients. Let Charlotte Insurance custom build your insurance coverage for you.

Who needs construction insurance coverage?

The easy answer is that most general and trade contractors that work with residential customers need insurance. But there’s more to it than that. Here’s a short list of who those that need specialized coverage:

  • Residential general contractors
  • Developers
  • Remodelers
  • Light commercial general contractors
  • Artisan/Trade contractors such as:
    • Carpenters
    • Plumbers
    • Electricians
    • Roofers
    • Tree surgeons
    • And more

What does construction insurance cover?

Construction insurance is a group of policies put together to better protect your business, no matter what kind of construction work you do.

General Liability: When a third party -- customer, client, or vendor -- suffers damage or injury while doing business with you, you may be liable for their expenses. General liability insurance pays for medical expenses and damages while protecting you if you’re sued.

Builders Risk: A lot can go wrong on an active job site, and until it’s finished, it’s your responsibility. Builders risk insurance covers you in case of storm, fire, theft, and other perils.

Equipment Breakdown: As a contractor or builder, you need your equipment to work so you can get the job done. Equipment breakdown coverage gets you back up and running so you can get back to work.

Commercial Property: Your tools and equipment cost serious money. If they’re damaged in a storm or fire, or stolen or vandalized, replacing them could set you back. Commercial property insurance helps you recover after a disaster.

Commercial Auto: Driving your personal vehicle to job sites? Got a rack on the back of your truck to haul equipment and tools? You need a commercial auto insurance policy. If you’re liable for an accident, personal auto insurance won’t cover you if you were driving for business. Plus commercial policies offer higher liability coverages which is helpful when accident victims see your business name and dollar signs at the same time.

Workers' Compensation: You may already require your subcontractors to have their own workers' compensation insurance. But if you have even a single employee, you need it, too. If your workers are injured on the job, you and they are protected. They get their lost wages and medical expenses covered, and you get help if you’re taken to court.

Umbrella: All it takes is one bad accident to bankrupt your construction business. Multiple injuries or catastrophic property damage and a big lawsuit can easily exceed the limits of your liability coverage. If you run out of insurance, you have to pay the difference out of pocket. Umbrella insurance gives your liability coverage a boost to financially protect your business.

Protect your construction business with the right insurance coverage. Contact Charlotte Insurance today for a free quote and to discuss your options.

Questions? Contact our Commercial Lines Insurance Specialist,
Ken Baswell at 704-887-5517 or