THE IMPORTANCE OF ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES INSURANCE IN NORTH CAROLINA
If you are thinking about starting up a business in North Carolina, anything that has to do with caring for the elderly is a sound business idea. As the working population ages, more and more people are retiring and many will eventually require some type of assisted living. Elderly services have unique requirements when it comes to dealing with risk management. In fact, you should consider assisted living facilities insurance customized to your needs, and here is why.
John P worked for many years in the healthcare industry, and he saw a need for specialized home healthcare. Using his years of experience and a loan, he soon was in business for himself, providing important in-home services to the elderly. John's company provided errands, shopping, light housework, and companionship services and it did not take long to establish an impressive list of clients.
John made sure he did extensive background checks on his employees, but even background checks may not tell the entire story. In fact, two years after he began the business, he received several complaints about one of his workers concerning physical and emotional abuse. Within a few weeks time, several lawsuits had been filed and John went to his insurance agent to see if his adult foster care insurance would cover the damages.
John was lucky. The guilty employee was dismissed and eventually brought to justice and John's home healthcare business is thriving today. His insurance professional was an independent agent schooled in risk management. John's policy provided complete protection, including legal fees and settlements. Had John not went with a seasoned insurance professional he would have been in serious trouble.
What is Personal Care Homes Insurance?
This insurance is designed to protect the owners of assisted living facilities and related businesses. Many of these companies are for elder care, but they may also take care of the physically and mentally handicapped. If you have customers that are vulnerable, you must take extra caution when you assess your risk management needs.
WHO NEEDS ASSISTED LIVING FACILITIES INSURANCE?
Insurance for assisted living businesses covers a wide range of healthcare and healthcare related businesses. For example:
- Home healthcare - some home healthcare services believe their risks are low if they travel to your home and do not offer medical services. However, as you can see from the example, many different things can happen with home care. Home services need many of the same insurance options are large facilities.
- Personal care services
- Nursing homes - this refers to full-time healthcare facilities that take care of both medical and personal needs.
- Assisted living facilities - facilities that help residents with needs like getting dressed, personal hygiene, and preparing meals.
- Adult foster care
- Elder daycare
- Continuing Care Retirement Communities
WHAT COMES WITH STANDARD ADULT FOSTER CARE INSURANCE?
A standard policy really does not exist because there are so many businesses and business variations to consider. Yet, if you are in the elder care business, you'll probably need these insurance items:
- General liability
- Personal liability
- Commercial property insurance - unless your business is mobile
- Workman compensation insurance for your staff
PERSONAL CARE HOMES INSURANCE OPTIONS
Since your risk factors can vary, here are some of the options you might need:
- Commercial auto insurance - this is especially important if your staff visits people in the home. You'll want to make sure you have sufficient liability and comprehensive. In addition if there is a chance your employees may use their own vehicles, you'll need ENOL (employer non-owned liability) insurance.
- Abuse insurance - can also include sexual abuse
- Professional liability - important for assisted living facilities insurance, because it protects you against errors or omissions you or your employees make. May include improper advice which leads to injury or damages also.
- Cyber insurance - any business that keeps personal info of clients is subject to hacking and cyber insurance is essential.
WHY YOU NEED ADULT FOSTER CARE INSURANCE PROFESSIONALS
When you come to Charlotte Insurance you have someone on your team to help with risk management options. We are an independent insurance agency which means we are not here to sell you on one company. Instead, we check with several insurance companies on your behalf to find you the best coverage and lowest premiums. This gives you the independent insurance agency advantage. That advantage can not only save you a lot on personal care homes insurance premiums, it can keep you from making a costly mistake (one you end up paying for, for a long time).
Charlotte Insurance understands your business needs may be unique. That is why we take the time to go over your risk factors and help you choose the right kind of coverage in South and North Carolina. We have been serving customers since 1992 and offer a wide range of insurance options for your business, home, or automotive needs.
If you're curious about our insurance agency and would like to know if we can help you with your facility, reach out to us today! Give us a call or stop by one of our offices in North Carolina. We'll also provide you with a free, no-obligation quote; simply fill out the form. Our dependable coverage means that your full attention can stay on those you're watching over.