Hear What Jerry Minchey, Author of “Secrets of RVing On Social Security” (available on Amazon Audible) Has To Say
About Working With Charlotte Insurance

The Colorado RV Insurance Specialists at Charlotte Insurance are Ready to Help You Protect Your Rig!

Colorado is known for its outdoor living, scenic byways, and amazing landscapes. It’s no wonder you’re ready to get behind the wheel of your RV and see what it, and the rest of the country, have to offer.

Whether you’re headed to Colorado Springs, the Rocky Mountain National Park, Lake Pueblo, or other parts in and around the state, make sure you, your family, and your RV are well protected with good RV insurance coverage.



You need a Colorado RV insurance policy in place before you’re on the highway or at a campsite. Some coverage may be required to purchase but a full coverage policy will protect you when the worst happens, taking care of you, your family, and your RV.

Here at Charlotte Insurance, we’ll work with you to help you find the right Colorado RV insurance policy for your recreational vehicle and how you want to use it.

Contact us today to get a free Colorado RV quote for your first RV policy or your next one.

Common Colorado RV Insurance Misconceptions

Isn’t my homeowners policy enough to cover my RV?

Recreational vehicles are motor vehicles, so a separate liability policy is required in Colorado. Beyond that, while your home insurance might offer a small amount of coverage while your RV is parked in your driveway or stored, that won’t help you when you’re ready to use it. Once you leave your primary residence, and especially if you live in your RV full-time, your homeowners insurance will no longer apply.

Can’t my homeowners insurance cover my belongings inside the RV?

While your RV is parked at home, your homeowners insurance may offer a limited amount of coverage. But you’ll have very strict (and small) policy limits that won’t cover everything in your RV. Plus, any additional accessories you’ve added – like antennas or awnings – won’t be covered at all.

Colorado RV insurance offers specific policies to insure everything inside your RV as well as additions you make to your RV.

Isn’t Colorado RV insurance expensive?

What you’ll pay for RV insurance in Colorado depends on several factors. That includes whether you use your RV occasionally or if it’s your primary residence. Other factors in the overall cost include the type, age, and condition of your RV. In addition, any claims you’ve filed in the past, your driving record, and the deductible and policy limit you choose all factor into what your premiums will be.

It’s important to compare policy options to find coverage that fits your budget and provides plenty of protection for you and your RV.

Colorado RV Insurance Requirements

In Colorado you’re required to purchase a minimum amount of liability coverage for an RV motorhome:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
  • $15,000 for property damage per accident

Minimum liability coverage often isn’t enough to pay for accidents involving multiple injuries or multiple vehicles, if you’re at fault. Especially when you consider how much damage an RV can cause. It’s possible that even a “minor” accident may not be fully covered by a minimal policy. It’s better to purchase as much liability coverage as you can afford. This provides better protection when you’re the one at fault for an accident.

Types of Coverages for Colorado RV Insurance


As previously mentioned, Colorado requires all motor vehicles, including RVs, to carry liability insurance. There are two types of damages covered in liability insurance:

  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage

Liability pays for the medical expenses and property damage that occur to the other driver when you’re at fault for an accident out on the road. It also pays for medical expenses and property damage if someone (who doesn’t live with you) visits your RV or where it’s parked and gets hurt. Most importantly, liability insurance covers your legal fees and helps pay the settlement if an injured person sues you later.

This may sound similar to your auto insurance or homeowners policy, and it is. However, RV liability insurance is made for the unique experience of driving and living in an RV. A deductible will apply to any claim you file.

Comprehensive and Collision

An RV isn't just a place to sleep; it’s a motor vehicle, and not all accidents on the road involve another vehicle. Whether you hit an elk out on the road or your RV is damaged by a storm, comprehensive and collision insurance covers the cost to repair or replace your RV. Deductibles apply.

If you finance the purchase of an RV, comprehensive and collision coverage may be a required part of your loan agreement.

Physical Damage

After an accident or other covered claim, your RV could be declared a total loss – meaning the cost to repair it is worth more than the value of the vehicle or it simply cannot be repaired. When this happens, you’ll be paid for the loss of your RV under physical damage coverage. There are three ways you will receive payment to replace your RV, depending on the coverage you choose:

  • Actual Cash Value (ACV): A common option for vehicles, you’ll receive the amount equal to your RV’s stated value at the time of loss. ACV determines the amount to pay out based on the age and condition of your RV. The amount you receive is unlikely to cover the cost to replace your RV with a new vehicle.
  • Agreed Value (AV): Less common but worth considering if your vehicle is newer but had previous owners, agreed value coverage pays you the amount agreed upon when you purchase your policy. The depreciation of your RV, up to 10 years, is not considered in determining the value. The amount you’ll be paid will be listed in the policy on the Declaration page.
  • Replacement Cost (RC): Replacement coverage is ideal (and recommended) for new RVs. It pays you enough to purchase a new RV or one comparable to your previous RV – for up to the first five model years. After five model years, you’ll receive an agreed upon amount list on the Declaration page. At the time of coverage, your Colorado RV must be the current model year or only one model year old. It can never have been titled or insured and have no previous owners.

The amount you’ll receive for the loss will be minus your deductible.

Emergency Expense

While in your RV, an emergency often means you have no place to stay or vehicle to drive. Emergency expense coverage pays for the unplanned costs to stay in a hotel or rent a car when your RV is damaged in a covered claim. To qualify, you must be more than 50 miles away from your home or the storage facility where you keep your RV when the accident occurs.

This coverage pays up to a specified amount for:

  • Temporary hotel stay or other accommodations
  • Vehicle rental charges while your RV is repaired.
  • Costs to go home.
  • Costs to transport your RV home, as long as it hasn’t been totaled.

For full-time RV living, you will not need to meet the 50 mile rule – as long as your RV is your primary residence in Colorado. Talk to your independent insurance agent about emergency expense coverage for your situation.

Personal Effects

Your RV is your home, no matter how temporary. It’s filled with possessions and items that allow you to travel and live comfortably. Personal effects coverage pays to replace your possessions and items used in your RV. This includes clothing, electronic devices, and more.

Your personal effects will be covered up to a specified limit, based on what you choose for your policy. To determine the best policy limit, consider how much it would cost you to replace everything in your RV, down to the smallest item.

If you own high-value items, like jewelry or collectibles, and travel with them, ask about high-value items insurance.

A deductible will apply.

Full-Timers Coverage

Full-time RV living requires a different level of insurance coverage than part-time use. RV insurance for full time living provides more liability coverage when your RV is your primary residence. You’re covered when you travel in Colorado and around the US and beyond. Full-time coverage is also available if you live in an RV during home renovations, repairs, or new construction. The primary vehicle used must also be your primary residence.

You have a variety of coverage options including: Medical Payments, Loss Assessment, Attached Accessories, Adjacent Structures, and more. If you’re not sure whether you qualify for full-time RV insurance, talk to your agent.

Medical Payments

Injuries from an accident involving your RV can be costly making medical payments coverage so important. It pays for injuries to anyone riding in your RV regardless of who’s at fault for the accident. The same coverage limits will apply to all vehicles on your policy.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage protects you, the people who live with you, and any other passengers in your RV when someone else is at fault for an accident but they don’t have any or enough liability insurance to pay for the damage or injuries. UIM pays for your bodily injuries and physical damage, up to your policy limits, so you don’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.

If you, as the named insured, request Stacked Uninsured Motorist coverage, then the policy limits for each vehicle listed on your insurance policy can be added together. This will determine the total amount that may be recovered (stacked) for all covered injuries to you and your resident relatives.

If you request Non-stacked Uninsured Motorist, then the injured person may not add or combine the coverage provided as two or more motor vehicles together to determine the limits of uninsured motorists available, except in very limited instances.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as No-Fault coverage, pays for your damage and injuries whether you’re at fault for an accident or not, up to your policy limit.

PIP covers you and residents of your RV in multiple situations:

  • You and any relatives living in your RV
  • Some RV passengers who don’t have PIP coverage
  • Certain licensed drivers who have your permission to drive your RV.
  • When you’re in someone else’s vehicle.
  • Any children who live in your household, who suffer an injury while riding on a school bus.
  • When you’re a pedestrian or bicyclist and are injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle.

Standard PIP insurance pays 80% of reasonable medical expenses, 60% of lost wages and all reasonable expenses for replacement services such as child care, housekeeping, or yard work, as well as $5,000 for death benefits.

Extended Personal Injury Protection can be added for a higher premium. It pays 100% of your reasonable medical expenses and 80% of lost wages.

Personal Injury Protection Deductible allows you to choose a deductible of $250, $500 or $1,000. Your deductible is then subtracted from the available PIP benefit or the total amount you can collect based on the type of coverage you select:

  • PIP with a deductible for the named insured only means the deductible will only apply to the named insured and your spouse but not any other relatives that live with you.
  • PIP with a deductible for “Named Insured & Resident Relatives” means the deductible will apply to the named insured, your spouse, and all dependent relatives living with you.

Work Loss Exclusion allows you, as the policyholder, to exclude benefits received for loss of gross income and earning capacity from PIP coverage.

Roadside Assistance

Breaking down in your RV is an expensive prospect. Repairs and towing aren’t always easy for a vehicle that size. Roadside assistance is there when you need it most. It gets you back on the road after a covered emergency or situation. You can use your coverage 24/7 as long as you’re located within the United States and Canada.

What’s included in the roadside assistance for your Colorado RV:

  • Jump start for your battery
  • Flat tire change
  • Fuel delivered to your RV if you run out of gas. You have to pay for the gas.
  • Towing to the nearest qualified repair facility.
  • Getting back into your RV when your keys are lost, stolen or accidentally locked inside. You have to pay to replace your keys.
  • Pulled out of mud, snow, water, or sand with a motor-powered cable or chain. In most cases, your RV must be located within 100 feet of road or highway.
  • On-scene labor for up to an hour if your RV breaks down.

Before you venture out on the Colorado highways and byways, make sure your RV is well-protected with the best RV insurance you can afford. Contact Charlotte Insurance for a free quote today!