Hear What Jerry Minchey, Author of “Secrets of RVing On Social Security” (available on Amazon Audible) Has To Say
About Working With Charlotte Insurance

The Florida RV Insurance Specialists at Charlotte Insurance are Ready to Help You Protect Your Rig!

Traveling in and around Florida and beyond in an RV, whether part-time or full-time, is a lot of fun and filled with adventure. You may want to visit the Florida Caverns in Marianna or Fisherman’s Cove in Tampa. You’ll save big on your Disney trip when you stay in your RV instead. Maybe you want to check out the Big Bend Scenic Byway in north Florida or finally drive down to Key West. And maybe you want to do all of that and then explore the rest of the US and Canada.

But living the RV life or just going on an RV vacation also comes with some risk and responsibilities. Before you pack up and hit the road, you’re going to need RV insurance as a Florida resident. Some coverage is required and all of it is highly recommended to protect you, your family, and your RV.



Here at Charlotte Insurance, we can help you find the right Florida RV insurance policy for your lifestyle, your travel plans, and how you intend to use your RV.

Contact us today to get a free Florida RV insurance quote for your first or next policy. Make sure your home-on-wheels is well protected, no matter where you travel.

Common Florida RV Insurance Misconceptions

Will my homeowner’s insurance cover my RV?

While your RV is parked at your Florida home, your homeowners insurance will offer some protection, based on what’s included in your policy. But once you get on the road or park somewhere else, your homeowners insurance won’t cover you.

Won’t my personal belongings be covered under my homeowners policy?

Again, as long as your RV is parked at your Florida home, your homeowners policy may offer some limited coverage. But it likely won’t cover any additional accessories you have and it may not be enough to cover all of your possessions.

Isn’t Florida RV insurance expensive?

Depending on how you use your RV – part-time versus full-time – you may be surprised at just how affordable insurance coverage can be. Your own driving habits, previous claims history, deductibles, and policy limits impact the cost, as well.

Florida RV Insurance Requirements

If your RV is a motorhome, the state of Florida requires at least $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and $10,000 in property damage liability coverage. You’ll need to show proof of insurance to register your RV in Florida. Bodily injury liability isn’t required but it’s highly recommended because you’ll still be financially responsible if someone is hurt while visiting your RV or where you park.

State-required insurance minimums aren’t enough to protect you after a serious accident. Medical payments are often extremely expensive even for minor injuries. And if the victim of an accident you caused decides to sue, you’ll wish you had more coverage.

Campers, trailers, and fifth wheels aren’t required to be covered under Florida RV insurance but we highly recommend you protect your camper with a policy. These policies are often much more affordable than you realize.

Types of Coverages for Florida RV Insurance


Liability coverage includes two forms of coverage:

  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage

Both pay the victim of an accident when you’re at fault or if someone suffers injuries or property damage while in or near your RV. Their damages will be paid, and you’ll be covered – up to your policy limits – if they decide to sue you later.

This works exactly like liability coverage for your homeowners and auto insurance. A deductible will apply.

Comprehensive and Collision

Your Florida RV isn’t just your home away from home, it’s also a motor vehicle. When something happens to your RV – you hit a deer or someone breaks in – comprehensive and collision coverage cover the cost to repair or replace your RV. Deductibles apply.

When you finance the purchase of your Florida RV, your lender may require comprehensive and collision coverage.

Physical Damage

Physical damage coverage takes care of repairing your RV or paying you for a total loss after an accident or other covered peril. You have three options for this coverage:

  • Actual Cash Value (ACV): If there is a total loss for your RV, you receive the value of your RV at the time of the loss. ACV takes the age and condition of your RV into consideration.
  • Agreed Value (AV): In the event of a total loss, AV protects your RV’s value without considering depreciation for up to 10 years. The value you would be paid will be listed on the Declaration page.
  • Replacement Cost (RC): If your RV is a total loss, RC pays for a new RV or for the value listed on the Declaration page. After five model years, the amount listed on the Declaration page will be paid. Your RV must be the current model year or one model year old at the time of being insured with no previous owners. It can also never have been titled or insured.

Payments are after your deductible has been applied.

Emergency Expense

When you’re on the road, an emergency in your RV means you don’t have a place to live or a vehicle to drive for a while. Emergency expense provides coverage if your RV becomes inoperable due to a covered comprehensive or collision loss more than 50 miles from your home or storage facility.

This coverage pays up to a specified amount for:

  • Temporary living accommodations
  • Transportation back to your home.
  • Cost of returning your RV to your home, if your RV is not declared a total loss.
  • Rental charges while your RV is repaired.

If you live in your RV full-time, your emergency expense coverage may have different requirements other than the 50 mile radius rule. Ask your independent insurance agent about this when discussing coverage for your RV.

Personal Effects

Personal effects coverage protects your personal items that are used in conjunction with your RV. This includes your clothing, your electronic devices, as well as appliances used inside your RV. Your belongings will be covered up to a specified limit, based on what you choose for your policy. A deductible will apply.

Full-Timers Coverage

Full-timers coverage provides protection when you use your RV as your primary residence in Florida, including continuous traveling around the country. This can also include living in an RV while your house is being built or renovated. The primary vehicle use must also be your primary residence.

Coverage can include a variety of policies such as: Personal Liability, Medical Payments, Loss Assessment, Storage shed contents, and/or Bodily Injury & Property Damage for which you are legally liable.

Medical Payments

Medical payments insurance covers injuries to individuals riding in your RV regardless of who caused the accident. The same coverage limits will apply to all vehicles on the policy.

To select medical payments coverage, you must also purchase bodily injury coverage. Even though bodily injury coverage isn’t required for Florida RV insurance, it’s highly recommended that you purchase it.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage protects you, your resident relatives, and the passengers in your covered vehicle when the other driver is at-fault in an accident but has no or not enough liability insurance coverage.

If you (the named insured) requests Stacked Uninsured Motorist coverage, then the policy limits for each motor vehicle listed on the policy may be added together to determine the total amount that may be recovered (stacked) for all covered injuries to the Name Insured and resident relatives.

If the Named Insured requests Non-stacked Uninsured Motorist, then the injured person may not add or combine the coverage provided as two or more motor vehicles together to determine the limits of uninsured motorists available, except in very limited instances.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as No-Fault coverage, provides coverage regardless of whether or not you cause the accident, up to the limits of the policy. PIP coverage is required in the state of Florida as part of your RV insurance coverage.

What else does PIP coverage?

  • Your children who live in the same household, if they suffer an injury while riding on a school bus.
  • You and any relatives living in your home, certain passengers who lack PIP, and certain licensed drivers who drive the vehicle with your permission.
  • You’re covered while in your own or someone else's vehicle.
  • It also protects you as a pedestrian or bicyclist if you suffer an injury in an accident involving a motor vehicle.

The minimum PIP coverage required by Florida law is $10,000. PIP coverage pays 80% of reasonable medical expenses, 60% of lost wages and all reasonable expenses for replacement services such as child care, housekeeping or yard work, and $5,000 for death benefits.

Extended Personal Injury Protection is available for an additional premium. It pays 100% of reasonable medical expenses and 80% of lost wages.

Personal Injury Protection Deductible allows you to select a PIP deductible of $250, $500 or $1,000. The deductible is subtracted from the available PIP benefit or the total amount you can collect.

  • If PIP with a deductible for “Named Insured only” is selected then the deductible will only apply to the named insured and spouse and not any other relatives that live with you.
  • If PIP with a deductible for Named Insured & Resident Relatives is selected then the deductible will apply to the named insured, spouse, and all dependent resident relatives.

Work Loss Exclusion allows you, as the policyholder, to exclude benefits received for loss of gross income and earning capacity from PIP coverage.

Roadside Assistance

Roadside assistance provides coverage if your RV is disabled due to a covered emergency. It’s available 24/7 in the United States and Canada.

What’s covered under road assistance for your Florida RV:

  • Your RV can be towed to the nearest qualified repair facility.
  • Your RV can be pulled out of an area with a motor-powered cable or chain. This is usually provided when your RV is trapped in mud, snow, water, or sand within 100 feet of road or highway.
  • Battery jump-start when your battery dies
  • Fuel delivered directly to your RV. You’ll be responsible for the cost of fuel.
  • When your keys are lost, stolen or accidentally locked inside your RV, a qualified locksmith will be sent to help. You’ll be responsible for the cost to replace your keys.
  • Flat tire changes
  • On-scene labor lasting up to one hour when your RV is disabled.

Ready to travel the roads – around Florida and the rest of the country? Make sure your RV is well-protected with the best Florida RV insurance you can afford. Contact Charlotte Insurance for a free quote today!