Hear What Jerry Minchey, Author of “Secrets of RVing On Social Security” (available on Amazon Audible) Has To Say
About Working With Charlotte Insurance

The Pennsylvania RV Insurance Specialists at Charlotte Insurance are Ready to Help You Protect Your Rig!

It doesn’t matter whether you’re planning a trip to Amish country or to Hershey Park here in Pennsylvania or you’re heading out on the open road for out-of-state adventures, before you get on the road, make sure your RV and your family are well protected.

Pennsylvania RV insurance doesn’t have to be daunting or expensive. When something goes wrong – at the RV park or on a back highway – you’ll be glad for the coverage you have.



You need a Pennsylvania RV insurance policy before you’re on the road. While some insurance policies are required by law, other forms of coverage help you recover faster and easier after an accident. The right policy protects you, your family, and your RV.

Here at Charlotte Insurance, we’ll help you find the right Pennsylvania RV insurance policy for your recreational vehicle and how you plan to use it – full-time or part-time.

Contact us today to get a free Pennsylvania RV quote for your first RV policy or your next one.

Common Pennsylvania RV Insurance Misconceptions

Isn’t my homeowners insurance enough coverage for my RV?

Unfortunately you can’t rely on your homeowners policy to cover your RV, especially once you pull out of the driveway. While it’s parked, your homeowners insurance will provide a small level of coverage – but it likely won’t be enough in a catastrophic event. And once you’re behind the wheel and using your RV, your homeowners insurance will no longer be applicable. You need separate coverage to fully protect your RV – and some coverage is required by law.

Doesn’t my home insurance cover the belongings in my RV?

As long as your RV is located at home, parked and unused, your homeowners insurance will provide a bit of protection. But whatever coverage is available under the policy will have a specific (and smaller) limit that won’t cover everything. Any coverage your homeowners policy allows won’t be enough to replace everything, if needed. Any additional accessories you’ve added to your RV – such as awnings or antennas – won’t be covered at all.

You can choose from multiple types of coverage when you purchase Pennsylvania RV insurance to fully protect all of your belongings in and out of your RV. Deductibles and policy limits will apply.

Is Pennsylvania RV insurance expensive?

The cost of RV insurance is often not as costly as people fear it will be. The amount you’ll pay – premiums – depends on a lot of variables. Whether you use your RV occasionally or if you live in it full-time is one factor. The type of RV, age, and condition also play a part in determining cost. In addition, whether you’ve filed claims in the past, your driving record, as well as the deductible and policy limit you choose all factor into the cost.

While cost is a factor for many people, what’s most important is to purchase an RV insurance policy that provides the most insurance coverage that you can afford. When the worst happens, and your RV and all of your belongings need to be replaced – or you’re sued by someone else after an accident – you need a policy that makes you whole again.

Pennsylvania RV Insurance Requirements

Pennsylvania requires all drivers of motor vehicles, including recreational vehicles to purchase both liability and medical payments insurance. You’re required to purchase a minimum amount of coverage:

  • $15,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $30,000 for bodily injury per accident
  • $5,000 for property damage per accident
  • $5,000 for medical payments coverage

In general, these minimums likely won’t be enough after an accident involving multiple vehicles and/or multiple injuries, especially when a vehicle as large as an RV is involved. Liability coverage protects you from more than just accidents on the road but also accidents that happen in your RV or where you’re parked. Even a “minimal” accident, from your perspective, can turn into an expensive lawsuit. Buy as much liability coverage as you can afford to avoid paying out of pocket after a claim.

Medical payments coverage pays for medical expenses regardless of who’s at fault. If you’ve seen a hospital bill recently, you know $5,000 will barely begin to cover any injury that requires medical treatment. Like liability insurance, purchase as much as you can afford to offer yourself the most financial protection.

Types of Coverages for Pennsylvania RV Insurance


Pennsylvania requires liability insurance, as previously stated. The two forms of coverage are:

  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage

Liability insurance covers bodily injuries and property damage that occur when you’re at fault for an accident on the road. It also pays for bodily injuries and property damage when a third-party, non-resident visits your RV or campsite and gets hurt. Most importantly, liability coverage covers legal fees if the injured person decides to sue you later and will pay any settlement, up to your policy limit.

This may sound like the liability coverage for your auto insurance or homeowners policy, and it is. Liability insurance for a recreational vehicle, however, is made for the unique experience of both living in and driving an RV. Deductibles will apply.

Medical Payments

In Pennsylvania, medical payments coverage is required by law. This type of insurance is extremely helpful when you, your passengers, or others are injured in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault. Injuries in an RV accident can be expensive, making medical payments insurance important and useful. The same coverage limits will apply to all vehicles on your policy. This can take a huge weight off of your shoulders when there are injuries associated with an accident.

A deductible will apply.

Comprehensive and Collision

An RV is more than a place to lay your head at night when you travel; it’s also a motor vehicle. Whether you skid off the road in wet or icy conditions or your RV is struck by lightning in a storm, comprehensive and collision insurance covers the cost to repair or replace your RV – up to your policy limits. Deductibles will apply.

When you finance the purchase of an RV, your lender will likely require you to carry comprehensive and collision coverage for the life of your loan.

Physical Damage

In a bad enough accident or other claim, your RV could be declared a “total loss” sometimes called being totaled or totaled out. This often occurs when the cost to repair your RV is greater than its value. When this happens, coverage for physical damage pays for the loss of your recreational vehicle. There are three types of coverage, depending on the policy you select:

  • Actual Cash Value (ACV): ACV is the most common form of coverage. When your RV is totaled, you receive a payment that’s equal to the current stated value of your RV (at the time of the loss). The ACV is determined by the age and condition of your RV. The amount paid to you is unlikely to be enough to replace your RV with something similar, requiring you to pay the difference out of pocket.
  • Agreed Value (AV): When your RV is totaled, having agreed value coverage means you’ll receive a payment amount that was agreed upon by you and the insurance company when you purchased your policy. This amount doesn’t consider your RV’s depreciation, for up to 10 years. Your payment amount (the AV) will be listed on the Declaration page of your policy.
  • Replacement Cost (RC): While not a common form of coverage, it is highly recommended if your RV is new. When your RV is totaled, you’ll receive enough to buy a brand new RV or one comparable to what you had. This payment amount is available up to the first five model years. After five model years, you’ll be paid an agreed value that it’s listed on the Declaration page. To qualify for replacement cost coverage, your Pennsylvania RV must be the current model year or only one model year old at the time you insure it. It can not have been owned, titled, or insured previously.

The payment you receive will be minus your deductible.

Emergency Expense

If your RV is totaled or needs to be repaired after a covered claim, you may not have anywhere to stay or another vehicle to drive. Emergency expense insurance covers the expenses that come up in these situations. Your emergency must occur more than 50 miles away from where you live or the storage facility your RV is usually housed in.

You’ll received help paying for the following (up to the policy limits):

  • Staying in a hotel, temporarily
  • Getting back home
  • Bringing your RV home, as long as it hasn’t been declared a total loss.
  • Renting a vehicle during the repairs on your RV.

The 50-plus mile rule doesn’t apply when your RV is your permanent residence in Pennsylvania. Talk to your independent insurance agent about how emergency expense coverage can work for you.

Personal Effects

No matter how temporary it may be, your RV is much more than a motor vehicle; it’s also your home. This means it's filled with the items and personal belongings you need to live in it. Personal effects insurance helps replace the belongings in your RV after a covered peril. This includes clothing, electronic devices, and other items.

Person effects are covered up to a specific limit, based on the policy you select. If you own high-value items, like jewelry or collectibles, and bring them with you in your RV, ask about separate coverage specifically for those items. Personal effects insurance may not be enough to replace those high-value items in a loss.

A deductible will apply.

Full-Timers Coverage

Full time RV living requires different insurance protection than part-time living and random weekend trips. RV insurance for full-timers provides additional liability coverage you’ll need if your RV is your primary residence in Pennsylvania. Even better, you’re still covered as you travel around the US and beyond.

Full-time coverage is available if you live in an RV during home renovations and repairs, or while your new home is built. The primary vehicle use must also be your primary residence.

As a full-timer, you can choose from different forms of coverage including: Loss Assessment, Attached Accessories, Adjacent Structures, and more. If you’re not sure whether your RV use qualifies as part-time or full-time, talk to your agent.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance covers you when another driver is at-fault for an accident but doesn’t have any or enough liability insurance. You, people who live with you, and other passengers in your RV are included in the coverage. UIM pays for bodily injuries and property damage, up to your policy limits, so you don’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.

If you, as the named insured, request Stacked Uninsured Motorist coverage, then the policy limits for each vehicle listed on your insurance policy can be added together. This will determine the total amount that may be recovered (stacked) for all covered injuries to you and your resident relatives.

If you request Non-stacked Uninsured Motorist, then the injured person may not add or combine the coverage provided as two or more motor vehicles together to determine the limits of uninsured motorists available, except in very limited instances.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Personal Injury Protection (PIP), is also known as No-Fault coverage. It pays you whether you cause an accident or not, up to your policy limit.

PIP covers multiple situations and people, in and out of your RV:

  • You and any relatives living in your RV
  • Any children who live in your household, who suffer an injury while riding on a school bus
  • Certain licensed drivers who drive your RV with permission
  • Some passengers who lack PIP coverage
  • When you’re in someone else’s vehicle.
  • When you’re a pedestrian or bicyclist and are injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle.

Standard PIP coverage pays for 80% of reasonable medical expenses, 60% of lost wages and all reasonable expenses for replacement services like child care, housekeeping, or yard work, as well as $5,000 for death benefits.

Extended Personal Injury Protection can be selected for a higher premium. It pays 100% of your reasonable medical expenses and 80% of lost wages.

Personal Injury Protection Deductible allows you to choose a deductible of $250, $500 or $1,000. That deductible will be subtracted from the available PIP benefit or the total amount you can collect based on the type of coverage you select:

  • PIP with a deductible for the named insured only means the deductible will only apply to the named insured and your spouse but not any other relatives that live with you.
  • PIP with a deductible for “Named Insured & Resident Relatives” means the deductible will apply to the named insured, your spouse, and all dependent relatives living with you.

Work Loss Exclusion allows you, as the policyholder, to exclude benefits received for loss of gross income and earning capacity from PIP coverage.

Roadside Assistance

Just like roadside assistance for any other vehicle you drive, it’s something you don’t think you’ll need – until you’re stuck on the side of the road. You can access coverage 24/7 while you’re in the United States and Canada.

What’s included in roadside assistance for your Pennsylvania RV:

  • Jump start for your batter
  • Fuel delivery if you run out of gas. You have to pay for the gas.
  • Towing to the nearest qualified RV repair facility.
  • Flat tire change
  • Getting pulled out of mud, snow, water, or sand with a motor-powered cable or chain. Your RV must be located within 100 feet of the road or highway to qualify in most cases.
  • Getting back into your RV if your keys are lost or stolen or you’ve been locked out of your RV. You have to pay to replace your keys.
  • Up to one hour of on-scene labor when your RV breaks down.

Before you pull out onto a Pennsylvania highway, make sure your RV is well-protected with the best RV insurance you can afford. Contact Charlotte Insurance for a free quote today!