Hear What Jerry Minchey, Author of “Secrets of RVing On Social Security” (available on Amazon Audible) Has To Say
About Working With Charlotte Insurance

The Tennessee RV Insurance Specialists at Charlotte Insurance are Ready to Help You Protect Your Rig!

Tennessee is home to beautiful landscapes, amazing sites, and vibrant cities. There's so much to see and do that you could spend a lifetime exploring the state in your RV and never get bored.

Whether you’re headed to Nashville, Memphis, Gatlinburg, or Knoxville or you’re off to see the sites like the Great Smoky Mountains, Ruby Falls, or even Dollywood, your RV is a great way to see everything Tennessee has to offer.

It’s also the perfect way to see the rest of the United States and beyond. But before you load the kids, the dogs, and yourself up into your RV and pull out of the driveway, make sure you’re well protected with a solid Tennessee RV insurance policy.



The best Tennessee RV insurance coverage will protect you from whatever happens out on the road and once you park. Liability insurance is required by law but a full coverage policy offers the protection you need for your family, yourself, and your RV.

Charlotte Insurance is here to help you find the perfect Tennessee RV insurance policy for the RV you own, the life you want to lead, and the places you plan to go.

Get a free Tennessee RV quote for your first RV policy or your next one by contacting us today. We’ll help you protect your home-away-from-home when you’re on the road and when you’re parked.

Common Tennessee RV Insurance Misconceptions

Will my homeowners insurance cover my RV?

Your homeowners insurance may provide a small level of coverage – but only as long as your RV is parked at your Tennessee home. Once you leave home, your homeowners insurance won’t cover accidents, damage, and other perils.

Can my home insurance cover the belongings inside my RV?

Your homeowners policy may provide a limited amount of coverage but only while your RV is physically located at your home. Once you pull away, it won’t cover you. And what protection your home insurance provides won’t be enough to replace all of the belongings in your RV. Any additional accessories you’ve added and upgrades you’ve made to your RV won’t be covered at all.

Does RV insurance cost a lot in Tennessee?

The cost for Tennessee RV insurance depends on a variety of factors – whether you use your RV part-time vs. full-time, your driving record, your previous claim history, the age and condition of your RV, and the deductibles and policy limits you choose.

Your RV insurance doesn’t have to cost a lot but it’s important to purchase as much coverage as you can afford. That will provide the most protection in case of an accident.

Tennessee RV Insurance Requirements

The state of Tennessee requires motorhomes to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury per accident
  • $15,000 for property damage per accident

The minimum required by law is unlikely to offer enough protection if you’re at fault in an accident with serious injuries or involving multiple vehicles. It’s important to purchase as much coverage as you can afford to avoid financial surprises later.

In the state of Tennessee, uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage is also required at the same minimum required for your liability coverage. Even though it’s required, not all drivers carry auto insurance or they may not have enough. UIM helps pay for your damages and injuries when the other driver doesn’t have enough or any liability insurance.

Trailers, campers, pop-ups, and other RVs that can be towed by a vehicle can be covered under your auto insurance policy. Talk to your agent about this so they can make sure you have enough coverage. You may still want to consider an RV insurance policy for maximum protection.

Types of Coverages for Tennessee RV Insurance


While liability insurance is a requirement in Tennessee, it’s also important to understand what it is and how it works. When you’re at fault for an accident, your liability pays for two types of injuries:

  • Bodily injury
  • Property damage

Your liability insurance covers you on the road and once you park. Similar to your home insurance, liability pays the medical expenses for injuries and damage to a third-party (a person doesn’t live with you) if they’re hurt while inside your RV or at your campsite. If they decide to sue later, liability insurance covers your legal fees and settlements – up to your policy limit.

RV liability coverage is made for the unique risks of driving and living in your recreational vehicle.

Deductibles apply.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

The state of Tennessee requires all drivers to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance. The same minimums apply to both liability and UIM coverage, though more coverage is recommended.  UIM pays for the bodily injury and physical damage costs of an accident, up to your policy limits, when the other driver is at fault but they don’t have enough or any liability insurance.

If you, as the named insured, request Stacked Uninsured Motorist coverage, then the policy limits for each vehicle listed on your insurance policy can be added together to determine the total amount that may be recovered (stacked) for all covered injuries to you and your relatives who live with you.

If you request Non-stacked Uninsured Motorist, then the injured person may not add or combine the coverage provided as two or more motor vehicles together to determine the limits of uninsured motorists available, except in very limited instances.

Comprehensive and Collision

Your Tennessee RV is more than a temporary home away from home; it’s also a motor vehicle. Hitting wildlife on a dark highway or having your RV broken into are still potential problems every driver faces. Comprehensive and collision insurance covers repairs or replacement of your RV that occur in a covered peril. Deductibles apply.

Lenders often require comprehensive and collision insurance when you buy an RV and finance it. It’s often referred to as “full coverage.”

Physical Damage

Your RV insurance includes coverage for physical damage. This determines how much you’ll be paid if your RV is declared a total loss after an accident or other covered peril. You can choose from one of three options:

  • Actual Cash Value (ACV): ACV is the most common option. You’ll receive an amount equal to the value of your RV at the time of the loss. The age and condition of your RV will be used to determine the ACV. It’s unlikely you will be paid enough to buy a brand new RV.
  • Agreed Value (AV): Discuss this option with your independent insurance agent, especially if your RV is newer but was previously owned or if you’ve made customizations. AV coverage pays an amount that’s agreed to when you purchase your policy. Depreciation of your RV is not considered for up to 10 years. The amount you’ll be paid will be listed on the Declaration page of your policy.
  • Replacement Cost (RC): Replacement cost coverage is ideal for anyone with a new RV. You’ll be paid what you need to replace your RV with the exact model or a comparable one up to the first five model years. After five model years, you’ll receive an amount agreed upon when you purchased your policy. It will be listed on the Declaration page of your policy. Your Tennessee RV must be the current model year or only one model year old at the time you purchase the policy. There can be no previous owners and have never been titled or insured before.

Deductibles will apply.

Emergency Expense

Dealing with unexpected damage or an accident, while in Tennessee or beyond, means you may not have a place to stay or a vehicle to drive for a while. Emergency expense coverage helps pay for temporary living arrangements, transportation, and towing. To qualify, your RV must be disabled more than 50 miles away from your home or storage facility.

Emergency expense covers:

  • Hotel stays and other temporary living accommodations
  • Renting a vehicle during repairs.
  • Transportation home.
  • Transporting your RV home, as long as it isn’t a total loss.

For full time RV living with a full-timer coverage, emergency expense coverage will have different requirements instead of the 50 mile rule. Talk to your independent insurance agent about this when you insure your Tennessee RV.

Personal Effects

Your RV isn’t the only thing that needs insurance protection. Your belongings inside the RV also need to be covered. Personal effects insurance helps replace the things kept inside your RV. This includes clothing, electronic devices, appliances used inside your RV, and other items.

If you travel with high-value items, like jewelry or collectibles, ask about a policy for these items. Standard personal effects coverage usually isn’t enough insurance.

Deductibles apply.

Full-Timers Coverage

Living in an RV full time carries more risks than using it part-time. Full-timers RV insurance provides extra protection whether you’re still in Tennessee or you’re traveling across the US and beyond. Coverage is also available when you live in your RV during home renovations, repairs, or construction. The primary vehicle used must also be your primary residence.

Full-time RV insurance allows you to add other important coverage: Medical Payments, Loss Assessment, Attached Accessories, Adjacent Structures, and more.

Medical Payments

Medical payments coverage pays for any injuries that happen during an accident regardless of who’s at fault. The same coverage limits will apply to all vehicles on your policy. This allows you to focus on recovery instead of figuring out how you’ll pay expensive medical bills.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP)

Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as No-Fault coverage, covers you, whether you’re at fault in an accident or not, up to your policy limits.

PIP covers:

  • You and any relatives living in your RV
  • Some passengers who lack PIP coverage
  • Certain licensed drivers who drive your RV with your permission.
  • When you’re in someone else’s vehicle.
  • When you are a pedestrian or bicyclist and are in an accident involving another motor vehicle.
  • Children living in your household who suffer an injury while riding on a school bus.

Standard PIP coverage pays 80% of reasonable medical expenses, 60% of lost wages and all reasonable expenses for replacement services like child care, and $5,000 in death benefits.

Extended Personal Injury Protection pays 100% of your reasonable medical expenses and 80% of lost wages. You can choose this as an option for an additional premium.

Personal Injury Protection Deductible lets you choose a deductible of $250, $500 or $1,000. Upon payout of your claim, the deductible amount will be subtracted from the available PIP benefit or the total amount you can collect.

  • If you choose a PIP with a deductible for “Named Insured only,” then the deductible will only apply to the named insured (you) and your spouse but not any other relatives that live with you.
  • If you choose a PIP with a deductible for Named Insured & Resident Relatives, then the deductible will apply to the named insured (you), your spouse, and all dependent relatives who live with you.

Work Loss Exclusion allows you, as the policyholder, to exclude any benefits received for loss of gross income and earning capacity from your PIP coverage.

Roadside Assistance

Breaking down or getting stuck on the side of the road is no fun. In an RV, it can also be quite expensive to get help. Roadside assistance is there when you need it most. You have 24/7 coverage as long as you’re located within the United States or Canada.

Roadside assistance covers:

  • Towing to the nearest qualified repair facility.
  • Flat tire change
  • Battery jump start
  • Fuel for your RV when you run out of gas. You’ll have to pay for the gas.
  • Unlocking your RV if you lose your keys, your keys are stolen, or you lock yourself out of your RV. You have to pay to replace your keys.
  • Being pulled out of mud, snow, water, or sand with a motor-powered cable or chain. Your RV must be within 100 feet of road or highway.
  • Up to one hour of on-scene labor after a break down

Before you hit the road to explore Tennessee and beyond, make sure your RV is well-protected with the best RV insurance you can afford. Contact Charlotte Insurance for a free quote today!