Does your Homeowners Insurance Cover your College Student?

Written By Charlotte Insurance on September 18, 2015. It has 0 comments.

It’s that time of year again – your college student is headed back to campus.

These days you aren’t protecting them from bullies on the playground or accidental slips and falls. You’re sending them out into a bigger world where anything can, and often does, happen. You can’t protect them from everything, but maybe you can protect them from more than you realize.

The average college student brings $10,000 worth of possessions with them to college. Theft is a realistic factor. The question on your mind, as you mentally add up the value of their iPad, laptop, smartphone, and other belongings: are your kids possessions covered while they’re away at school?

It depends.


If your child lives in on campus housing – a dorm room, sorority house, fraternity house, or other school-approved housing on campus – many of your child’s possessions should be covered by your homeowners insurance policy in the event of fire, theft, or damage. There are a few considerations:

  • Computers may not be covered. You may want to purchase additional insurance.
  • Jewelry and other high dollar items may have a specific dollar limit. If your child’s possessions are worth more than that limit, you may need additional coverage.
  • Some policies only cover a percentage of your overall coverage. You’ll want to make sure the value covered is the same or more than the value of their personal items.
  • Smartphone insurance may be more affordable, with lower premiums and deductibles, than making claims for damaged or stolen phones against your homeowners insurance.

Before your college student moves into the dorm, take a look at your policy or give your insurance agent a call to make sure you have enough coverage.


For those who choose to live off campus with roommates or even another relative, the rules are completely different. Your homeowners insurance will not cover your child’s possessions while they live off campus. They will need to purchase renter’s insurance.

Renter’s insurance is often very affordable. Premiums are much lower than homeowners insurance and even basic plans should cover most possessions. We can help you and your student select the best coverage for your needs.

It’s never easy to let your kids go, even when they’re old enough to go to college. For those who live on campus, you can breathe a little easier knowing you’re still protecting them, even from a distance. The students who live off campus have choices too, which might help you sleep a little better at night.

At Charlotte Insurance, we have been serving North Carolina since 1992 and we pride ourselves on service and building relationships. We’re here to help you protect those most precious to you – at home or at college. Contact us today and let’s make sure your policy does exactly that.

Image courtesy of Flickr user Velkr0.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *