When you think of summer, you’re probably thinking about the time you’ll spend in the pool, grilling at cookouts, and the parties you want to host. You might not think about injuries, fires, and your liability as a host. But you should.
Here are some safety tips to keep your summer fun and carefree – and reduce common hazards that often come with fun in the sun.
Stay Safe in the Pool
Now that the weather has warmed up, getting in the pool is a must! Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind before anyone takes a dip.
- Never leave children unattended near a pool. A designated adult should be outside with them at all times.
- Teach kids to swim and make sure younger children wear flotation devices. Being able to swim doesn’t prevent all drownings but it’s a measure of protection your children need when they get into the pool.
- Install a fence around your pool and a gate or door leading to the pool that locks. Consider installing an alarm that goes off whenever the gate is opened so you’ll know if anyone is entering the pool area without permission.
- There should be no running or roughhousing around the pool. It’s easy to trip and fall or get knocked into the pool. This rule should apply to children and adults.
- Install covers that prevent drain entrapment as well as safety release valves just in case anyone gets caught and stuck.
- Before you install a new pool, talk to your independent insurance agent about how this will impact your current home insurance coverage.
Enjoy Your Cookouts Without Emergencies
It’s definitely time to light up the grill now that summer is here. But grilling can lead to fires and other emergencies. Stay safe this summer with these tips.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home. Don’t use it under an awning or tree branches as sparks from a flame can start a fire.
- Have a fire extinguisher with you and make sure that you know how to use it.
- Clean your grill. The stuck-on food and oils from previous cookouts can lead to high flames and splatters which can burn you or others or start a fire.
- Keep pets and kids away from the grill so it doesn’t get knocked over accidentally.
- Handle raw meats and vegetables correctly to prevent food poisoning. Wash your hands frequently when handling raw food.
- Use the appropriate amount of lighter fluid and charcoal for your charcoal grill. More is not always better and can be extremely unsafe.
- When you’re done grilling on a gas grill, turn off the gas.
Have Fun at Your Summer Party While Reducing Your Liability
Summer parties are a great time to have friends and family over. It’s a great time for a cookout (see those safety tips above) and to enjoy each other’s company.
If you plan to serve alcohol, you run the risk of being held responsible for accidents that may occur even after your guests leave your home.
- Always offer more options than just alcohol. This gives partygoers an option to limit their own alcohol consumption.
- Consider a cut-off point when alcohol will no longer be served to reduce intoxication.
- Offer to get guests a ride home with a rideshare service or make plans to let them camp out at your house if they’ve had drinks.
- Make sure to offer plenty of food for your guests to eat. Also keep cold foods cold and warm foods warm to reduce the chance of food-related illness later (another potential liability).
- If you regularly host parties and serve alcohol, talk to your independent insurance agent about liquor liability or social host liability coverage.
Check Your Insurance Coverage Before the Summer Fun Begins
Before you put on your swimsuit, light up the grill, or invite your friends and family over, make sure your homeowners insurance will protect you if things go wrong. If someone is injured or suffers property damage in your home, you’ll be liable for the costs and could get sued.
If you love to host parties and get everyone together at your place during the summer – and throughout the year – consider liquor liability coverage and umbrella liability coverage. Umbrella insurance is an extra layer of protection for those larger-than-life insurance claims, like injuries sustained in the pool or when an intoxicated guest causes an accident on the way home from your party.
Contact Charlotte Insurance today. We’ll help you understand your current insurance coverage and offer solutions to better protect yourself and your home. We can provide free estimates for better insurance coverage for whatever fun you want to have this summer. Contact us today!