Homeowners Insurance and Storm Damage: What’s Covered and What Isn’t

Written By Charlotte Insurance on August 3, 2021. It has 0 comments.

a close up of a home's roof with storm clouds in the background

You know your homeowners insurance includes coverage for storm damage, but what does that actually include? From downed trees to roof damage, a lot can go wrong when a storm hits.

Make sure you know what your policy covers and what it doesn’t.

What Home Insurance Covers

Standard homeowners insurance policies cover damage to both the exterior and interior of your home from a range of storms and the perils associated with storms.

  • Hurricanes, tornadoes, and windstorms
  • Ice storms and hail
  • Lightning damage
  • Fallen trees and power surges

The amount of coverage you have available will depend on your individual policy. Your deductible will also make an important difference. A large deductible may mean it doesn’t make sense to file a smaller claim. For example, the storm caused $1,200 worth of damage to your roof but your deductible is $1,000. That may not be a claim you choose to file.

There is no separate storm damage coverage you can purchase, but you can buy add-on coverage to make recovering from storm damage a bit easier.

Sump pump overflow: After a storm, your sump pump may not be able to keep up with the water flow and could stop working. This provides an added layer of protection from the additional damage that might be caused by a failing sump pump.

Matching siding: Standard coverage will replace the siding that’s damaged in a storm, but it might not match the rest of your home. With this coverage, you can have all of your siding replaced so it matches.

Roof replacement cost: Sometimes storm damage wrecks your roof. Instead of patching it up, this coverage allows you to get today’s cost of replacing your roof, minus your deductible. You’ll have a more secure roof that should be able to weather future storms for years to come.

What Home Insurance Doesn’t Cover

There are two specific types of storm damage that your homeowners insurance won’t cover:

  • Floods
  • Earthquakes

Both require a separate policy in order to protect your home.

Flood Insurance: Most flood insurance is backed by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and is available for homes in any area, including high-risk flood zones and extremely low-risk zones. While your homeowners insurance may cover a flooded kitchen from a busted pipe or a leaky roof, it won’t cover standing water that rushes into your home from outside. Purchasing flood insurance provides peace of mind when the rain begins to fall and the waters rise.

Remember: After a hurricane, there can be a question of whether the damage was caused by the winds (covered) or the water (not covered). With a flood insurance policy, you don’t have to worry – either way, your home is protected.

Earthquake Insurance: Earthquakes may be rare in the Charlotte area, but they can and do happen. Your homeowners insurance won’t cover damage from them but you can add earthquake coverage to better protect your home. In low risk areas, the cost is fairly affordable.

Not sure what your deductible is on your homeowners insurance? Want to discuss flood or earthquake insurance coverage? Contact Charlotte Insurance and let us answer your questions, explain your policy, and provide free quotes for additional coverage. We’re here to help you protect your home and family!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *