FORECLOSURE & OTHERWISE VACANT HOME CHECK LIST
As we all have come to realize we are living in the time where there are numerous foreclosures, bank owned and or otherwise vacant homes on the market. Many times you as the Buyer’s Agent try to rely on information supplied/received by the Listing Agents of these properties. We have come to find that all too often when the Buyer’s Agent is told that the utilities have been turned on no one has actually gone out to the subject property and confirmed this fact. Then when the Inspector arrives at the subject property he/she finds the utility companies tag on the front door (OK, usually on the ground) and no utilities on within the property.
- Water Service Turned On ? Please check that all necessary valves inside the home are in the ON position prior to the inspectors arrival, this should be done after the water has been turned on at the street at least 24 hours prior to the inspection). (Appliances such as Water Heaters can be viewed/inspected for visible concerns during the Home Inspection if gas is not on. (A safety check of the gas lines and burners can be completed by the gas company typically at no charge if not on at time of inspection).
- Gas Service Turned On ? (Many times it is not possible due to time restraints to get the gas service turned on. Gas appliances such as Gas Furnaces & Water Heaters can be viewed/inspected for visible concerns during the Home Inspection if gas is not on. (A safety check of the gas lines and burners can be completed by the gas company typically at no charge if not on at time of inspection).
- Electric Service Turned On ? (All necessary Breakers & Switches inside the home must be in ON position prior to the Inspector’s arrival, this should be done at least 24 hours prior to the inspection).
- Heating / Cooling Systems Turned On ? (Depending on the weather, Turn on the air conditioning systems at least 24 Hrs prior to the inspection, set systems to normal living settings – Auto Mode – between 68 -76 degrees & Pilot On ). This does not apply if the outside temperature has been and or is below 65 degrees within the past 24 hours. Air conditioning systems should not be operated if the outside temperature has been below 65 degrees within the past 24hours.
- Water Heater Turned On ? (Check toilets and sinks for water flow, Confirm Pilot is on & set to normal range/temperature).
- Home Winterized ? (Homes that need to be De-Winterized, including listed items above. Castle Home Inspections provides De-Winterizing services for an additional charge. These services need to be scheduled and completed prior to the scheduled Home Inspection time/date ).
Checklist Compliments of CastleCheck Home & Building Inspections