What Type of Insurance Does your Church or House of Worship Need?

Written By Charlotte Insurance on May 18, 2015. It has 0 comments.

You may not think of your church or house of worship as a business entity. Why would you? You help worshipers get in touch with their spirituality. You counsel the downtrodden and visit the sick. Your church nursery is filled with precious children who may grow up to join the church as adults. You work with people. Why would you need a special type of insurance?

The fact of the matter is that churches often function as much more than places of worship. Your church may also be a day care, preschool, meeting location, counseling center, and more. Even though your intent is to take care of your community, you still have the same worries and concerns as any other business: damage, theft, destruction, and, unfortunately, potential lawsuits.

Your church needs the same type of protection as any business. Take a look at the different types of Charlotte insurance coverage available for churches to make sure you’re properly covered:

  • General liability. Basic liability coverage will provide protection in case someone is hurt or property is damaged while participating in church activities or on church property. This insurance helps pay bond premiums, settlements, judgments, and medical bills.
  • Property InsuranceSimilar to homeowner’s insurance, this coverage will help repair or replace property that has been damaged or lost due to fire, theft, or windstorms.
  • Professional Liability. As a provider of different services, especially counseling, this coverage will help you if you’re sued for “malpractice” when someone claims an injury based on advice they were given. Your coverage helps with legal defense, judgments, and settlements.
  • Director and Officer Liability. If your church or house of worship functions with a Board of Directors, this insurance can protect the church from claims made as a result of actions made by a director, officer, or board member on behalf of the church.
  • Auto Insurance. Depending on your needs you can choose from commercial auto or hired and non-hired auto insurance. Commercial auto protects vehicles the church owns or rents. Hired and non-hired auto insurance can be used when vehicles not owned by the church are used for church activities.
  • Umbrella Coverage. In the event you have claims causing you to meet your coverage limits, umbrella coverage steps in and keeps you protected. It is also know as excess liability coverage.
  • Foreign Liability and Foreign Travel. Consider this type of coverage if your church organizes international trade missions or other trips out of country.
  • Garage Insurance. This is especially useful if your church offers valet parking, provides automotive services like oil changes and other light maintenance, accepted donated vehicles, or sells or gives away vehicles. This coverage protects the church if the vehicle is damaged or stolen while in the church’s care.

No one likes to think about accidents happening or anyone getting hurt. And while it may be hard to believe that anyone would sue a church, it can and does happen. Protect your church with the right insurance coverage. Our team is standing by; ready to answer your questions and help you determine the best coverage for your church. Contact us today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *